Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Fine Day


August 22nd is an important day of the year.  It is the anniversary of our wedding.
Going in as Vicky Nicholson...
Coming out as Vicky Burton!


This year I got a nice anniversary present...it was also the day the kids were going back to school!

Actually I am not the kind of mom who gets all excited about sending the kids back to school.  

Call me crazy, but I love my kids, I love summer, and I love combining the two together for a few blissful months. The beach, the pool, late movie nights and bedtimes, tubing on the lake,picking fat berries and tomatoes in the garden, group grocery shopping excursions, lazy breakfasts, hamburgers on the grill, swimming in the dark, spontaneous trips, the whole kit-and-caboodle.

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy my freedom when they are in school, but there is just something about summer... 
However, it all came to a screeching halt bright and early Monday morning.  Here was the crew as they headed out the door.

*Please ignore the reflection of the crazy lady in the window.  She is not a very good photographer but she was trying her best. It was early, okay?

Alli, 3rd grade

Lydia, 4th grade

Aren't they cute?

Kate, 8th grade and much too cool for a back pack.
Once we got everyone out the door, Blair surprised me by calling his office and telling them he was taking the day off to celebrate our 27 years of wedded bliss.  
We didn't do much--ran errands, ate sushi, talked a lot. It was perfect.  

And to top it off everyone came home safe and happy. 
 Perhaps the happiest one of all was Matt. It was the first time he hasn't participated in back-to-school for a very long time.

No comments: