So I have put this post off because I was trying to think of a clever title or funny spin that I could put on this post. But the fact of the matter is that there is nothing very funny about my boy leaving me.
On Sept. 5th he turned 19, and on the 6th we flew with him out to SLC for a little dorm room shopping, and then drove on to Rexburg, ID to settle him in to BYU-I.
Intellectually you know that your kids will grow up and go to college. Throughout the years you tell them how important it is and that you expect them to go. But when that day actually
arrives, your heart wonders just what your head was thinking!
I suppose there was some humor to be found in the 1 1/2 day of shopping. Shopping with two men with two different ideas on what was needed is a very interesting experience. It was so different than when BethAnn and I did this. We made all kinds of lists and plans and painstakingly color co-ordinated everything.
Matt, on the other hand, definitely cared which shoes we bought, but the rest of the stuff was grab and go. He didn't want to try on the clothes or examine the different bedding/towel options.
But we got it all and got his room unpacked in under 30 min.
(Again so very different that BethAnn. She and I spent hours unpacking, decorating, doing more shopping, etc, etc).
This was the end result:
![]() |
| His half is the undecorated, rather utilitarian end of the room. (And no, I am not naive enough to think that it still looks like this!) |
We took him for one last dinner and then it was time for the goodbyes.
We took these pictures just before the momma-fountain erupted.
![]() |
| Isn't he just so handsome and grown-up looking? |
Shortly after this we hugged each other tight. Blair welled up and just turned and walked toward the car. I couldn't let him go and started to cry. He just smiled and told me everything would be just fine.
I started to follow Blair, but unfortunately, the car was not very close, and every time I looked back, he was still standing there watching us, smiling and waving. I made it to the car and then had to run all the way back, throw my arms around him one more time, and insist that he go inside or I could never leave.
Then I got to stand and watch him walk away, which was almost worse.
To make a long story short, I survived and Matt is surviving too.
He says he loves it and is enjoying his classes, his new friends and I am sure, his freedom.
Blair and I stayed a few more days and enjoyed some time in Star Valley and in Utah.
It is good to be home enjoying our girls, doing a little less laundry, and having a little bit more food in the fridge.
Matt's mission papers are in so we are anxiously waiting for his mission call to come, and I am trying to gear myself up for what a serious goodbye that will be.
Seriously, I am so excited for Matt. I am proud of how much he has grown up and I am grateful for the opportunities that are ahead for him.







1 comment:
When I see those photos I reflect back on when I was at Ricks. Just after I started school there, 19 years ago, I got a phone call from Blair announcing that Matt was born. Crazy to think how fast that time has passed. It is a good place to be. I can't believe 5 short years from now we'll be doing the same thing with Cassidy. : (
Post a Comment