Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Things I Hear

  This week the things I have heard from my kids have amused me as usual.  However, their cute comments are starting to take on a different and somewhat disturbing twist.

To illustrate, please turn your attention to exhibit A:

Alli had a tough piano practice session.  Her daddy was trying to help her but things weren't going so well. A little while later I found her sobbing in her closet.
Me:  Alli, what's wrong?
Alli: (between hicupping sobs) Sometimes Daddy can be so harsh!!!
Me:  What did Daddy do?
Alli:  I don't remember!!
Me:  If you don't remember, maybe he wasn't really so harsh?
Alli:  (Sobbing with renewed vigor)  Sometimes I feel like crying, and I don't even know why!!!


Now on to exhibit B:


Lydia needed a picture for school of her doing something that involved risks and consequences.  She chose to take a picture of her doing a back dive off the diving board.  We were looking at pictures trying to decide which one to take.
Me:  How about this one?  Your legs are straight and together in this one.
Lydia:  We can't use that one because it makes my bottom look fat!
Me: No it doesn't!  You look adorable.
Lydia: Mom, for real.  That looks big.


And then when she wrote the essay about the risks and consequences of doing a back dive, she wrote, "One of the consequences could be that I would have an emotional breakdown."


Do you see where I am going with this?


And finally exhibit C:


Kate: Mom, Can I PLEASE do something with a friend on Saturday?
Me:  We'll see.
Kate: Please Mom, because no offense, but I am really tired of doing stuff with  the family.


Now is it just me, or all we all starting to see a pattern emerging here??
That's right, my little girls are starting to sound like tweens and teens!!

Please no!  Somebody stop the clock because I am not ready for this.

However, I know all is not lost.  Just last night Alli had a nightmare that woke the entire house and nothing would do except for her to sleep in-between Mommy and Daddy.  Somehow I didn't even mind it too much.  I don't imagine that will happen too many more times.

And I also know that no matter how much they grow up, sometimes there will still be moments that brings it all full circle.

Please turn your attention to exhibit D:

Yesterday we skyped for quite  awhile with Matt.  About 10:00 pm the phone rang again.
Matt:  Hi Mom.  What's everybody doing?
Me:  Well the girls are in bed.  We haven't done much since we last spoke.  Do  you need something or is something wrong?
Matt:  Well, I'm not homesick...um...well, I'm fine..... and I'm not homesick...but...I miss you, Mom.  I miss the whole family.

I rest my case.



1 comment:

Beth said...

As I began reading this post I thought to myself, Oh Oh here comes homesickness for Matt. As I got to the end I was sure of it. It has hit you all. Hope you can make it through without too many more melt downs.