Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Vicky Made That??!!

Those who know me well know that I am not crafty. 
 I once shocked my mother by making an adorable diaper cake for a baby shower.  I believe her exact words were, "Vicky made that?! I had no idea she was talented!"

I can't really hold it against her because while I do like crafts,  whenever I attempt to make something I usually get frustrated and either quit or get mad enough that there is no fun in the process.  In fact, my sister can attest to the many projects over the years that I started and then tried to talk her into finishing for me.

I say all that to say this:

Alli wants to be a waitress for Halloween.

I say that to say this:

I don't make Halloween costumes.

 I like to think that I am encouraging creativity by insisting that the kids raid the dress-up box and house for costumes and props.  (Either that or this is further proof of the laziness that I mentioned in the previous post.)

My one and only attempt at making a Halloween costume was for BethAnn when she was about four.  My sister conned me into making matching fairy princess dresses for her daughter and mine. We bought beautiful shimmery fabric, tulle, and shiny jewels.  She said it would be fun. She said we would do it together.  She said she would help me.  And then she promptly went home and made hers in an afternoon and left me hanging in the wind.
As previously mentioned, I got frustrated, and tried to con her into finishing mine, but she wasn't going for it this time.

Bitter much? Me?

It actually turned out really pretty, but I said enough bad words while putting the zipper into the slippery fabric, that I could only feel guilt when I looked at it.  And plus just when I finished it I accidently nicked said slippery fabric right in the front chest area.  I glued a giant fake jewel over the rapidly growing hole, but still..... 
And then BethAnn had the nerve to ride her tricycle while wearing it and got part of the skirt stuck in the  spokes and got a black stain on it.
(Wow, obviously I am more emotionally scarred by this experience than I realized considering that this all happened 20 years ago.)

But I digress....

Alli came up with an elaborate design for her costume, none of which could be found in our dress up box.  I comprised by finding this idea in Family Fun Magazine,
of which I will be making only the shirt and hat.  
 No zippers, No sewing.  Just hot glue and felt.  Wish me luck. 
Pictures to come.
Maybe.
Unless I get frustrated and call my sister.

I am so glad Kate and Lydia are making "Glampire" costumes out of the dress-up box.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

I have a server apron if you need it. However, it's not cute. And it's black...

Vicky said...

Thanks Tanya, but we are recycling the apron she wore to "help" at Kasey McRae's reception. Don't suppose you have a spare name tag that says, "Hi my name is Alli" ?.... She is unimpressed with my paper one. Haha

Tanya said...

Unfortunately for you, but fortunately for me, Red Elephant did not make us wear name tags! But I feel like you can buy a name tag. Or have one made at the awards store. But that might be more trouble than its worth...

Annette said...

You can do this Vicky! I'm always up for doing crafts together! Just give me a holler. Well okay... after I get back from Orlando!