My hair is falling out.
I am shedding like a snake.
I am moulting.
I am losing part of myself.
I run my fingers through my hair and twenty to thirty strands are caught in my fingers.
My scalp itch/hurts, and I can't seem to stop myself from messing with my hair to see how much will fall out.
I knew it would happen and it is right on schedule, just like the doctor said.
So why am caught off guard? Why so surprised? I don't even think I am sad, but I am emotional.
Originally I thought that as soon as this started to happen, I would have Blair shave my head to just get it over with.
Now I find myself wondering how long I can drag this out before people start to notice.
I have thick hair, at this rate I might be able to get a few more days out of it, maybe even a week?
Lydia found a picture of me before I ever cut my hair and put it on my bathroom mirror to
"remind you that you are beautiful." Because evidently bald isn't very beautiful in her book.
Alli sadly looked at the top of my head and said,
"I see bald spots."
This is the big one.
This is when it becomes obvious to the world and more importantly, to my kids, that I am sick.
I have a lovely collection of hats and scarves and even a wig waiting for this day.
They all look stupid, they all scream cancer.
Why is this such a big deal?
I have been so boldly declaring that we don't care about hair, we only care about kicking cancer.
But evidently I do care.
More than I thought.
Sigh...cancer is not for the vain.
But I know that there is always sunshine after the storm and one day I can grow my hair just as long as I please.
And I will.

4 comments:
You are beautiful all the way through. Inside and out. Hair or no hair. I can't imagine how one would feel but mine is getting very thin also. We just have to go through some things. Glad you are blogging about these things. I hope it helps you. I does me.
You are beautiful with or without hair. When you kick this cancer in the butt, you'll get all your gorgeous NON-GRAY hair back! (Man, I wish I got those non-gray genes!) Love you!
I think you will adjust to the loss of hair. Like you said I'm sure it is a shock that this is really happening. It's rocking your world I am sure! I hear wigs are hot. I say go bold and go without anything. Put on some cute headbands and let the light dance from your eyes! Love you friend!
Robin Roberts from Good Morning America rocks the bald. She is gorgeous bald, as I am sure you are too! Put on some makeup and walk proud! You are fighting cancer with an amazing team by your side!
Post a Comment