Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Let's Update, Shall We?

Wow, I cannot believe how much time has passed since my last post.  We have had so many things happen.  I think a quick list is in order:



August 2012
School started.  We now have a 4th, a 5th grader, and one in high school.  Kate started early morning seminary.  Bless her heart, she is always tired, but works so hard. Oh and I went for my annual mammogram.






September 2012
Matt celebrated his 20th birthday out in the mission field.  We are so proud of him for serving a mission, but miss him so very much.  I got a call back on that mammo.  After further review, was given the all-clear and told to follow up in 6 months.



October 2012
Alli turned 10!  I no longer have any children in the single-digit ages and I am starting to feel a little bit old.  BethAnn, at 25 weeks pregnant, gets put on bedrest.  Although we are concerned for her, I am thrilled that I get to spend some time almost every day with Preston.  That boy has my heart!



November 2012
We celebrate BethAnn's birthday with her still on bedrest.  We also had our traditional outdoor Thanksgiving, but the crowd was a little smaller than usual and we all really missed Matt!  Oh, and I found a lump in my breast.


December 2012
So much excitement this month!  Grandson number 2 decides he simply cannot wait another minute and makes his big debut on the 3rd.  At 34 weeks he is perfect at 6 lbs 3 oz and gets to come home with mom--They name him Maxwell Blair. We try to celebrate Zach's and Lydia's birthdays, but in the craziness of the month they both kind of get the short end of the stick.  After 10 days at home,Max develops RSV and is in the pediatric intensive care through the holidays.  We had a nice, but quiet Christmas, missing Matt and little Max. Due to the busy time of year and all the other family excitement, it takes awhile to get a doctor appointment. After the exam,  he assures me that he is not concerned and that I should not worry. I spend much of the month having mammograms, ultrasounds, and doing lots of waiting.




January 2013
On January 3rd I get the official news that I do indeed have breast cancer. We celebrate my birthday, have more doctor appointments and tests to determine the details of the cancer, and make a treatment plan.  I cut all my hair off in an attempt to prepare myself for what is to come.  I start chemo on the 24th.
Before 

After 
Although this first round of chemo has not been kind to me, I have spent most of this month completely overwhelmed, lifted up, suprised, and deeply, deeply touched by the outpouring of love, the prayers,  and the service from family,  friends, and even strangers both far and near.  I have never felt more loved than I do at this time.  I have also felt the love of my Heavenly Father and the knowledge that he knows me, loves me, and will not forsake me as I go through this experience.

2 comments:

Annette said...

I so <3 you! I know it might be a pain but it would be good to blog your progress!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled into your blog through Lindley's blog. I hope it's okay I am popping in and commenting. You look great with short hair! I am so sorry you are having this particular challenge, but I can tell already from your blogging you have a survivor's spirit! I just found out one of my oldest friends has also just been diagnosed. Thank you for being willing to share. You have been in my prayers and will continue to be. You are the only other Vicky I know besides me who uses the y at the end of your name! Vicky Evelo