One of the many parting gifts that chemo left me with is the inability to sleep.
I have developed some pretty wicked RLS (restless leg syndrome) due to the anemia that came from chemo, and I simply cannot lie still in bed no matter how hard I try.
So at night I can be found prowling the house, trying to tire out my legs so I can sleep.
Right now it is 12:40 am and I am again on my nightly prowl and thinking about tomorrow.
Tomorrow marks the beginning of my seven weeks of radiation.
I will go everyday Monday through Friday and then get Saturday and Sunday to recover before hitting it again.
Yay.
I am trying to have a positive attitude about this. Really. I am.
I know it puts me one step closer to being done with treatment, and I am grateful this technology exists,
blah, blah, blah.
But once again there are real side effects--some for now and some that may appear later down the road.
Add to that the cording that I have developed in my right arm, and I am just having so much fun.
Plus I get to wear a lovely compression sleeve for about three hours everyday during the process.
Yay.
No one told me that this stage of treatment should be called the stage of never-being-at-home-because-you-are-always-at-a-doctor's-office.
Last week I had 4 appts and this week I have 5.
I see my oncologist, my surgeon, and my radiologist on a regular basis. (I never thought I would use the word "MY" in front of any of those doctors in this lifetime!) Also every three weeks I get herceptin, and I have physical therapy for the cording twice a week. Add to that occasional other tests like an echo cardiogram to make sure my heart is still beating, and you get a pretty full schedule.
Evidently the main side affect of radiation is fatigue. Goody. Guess what happens when fatigue and insomnia and endless appointments collide?
I don't know but I'll keep you posted.
I know that I am whiny tonight, mostly because i would rather be sleeping,
but in all actuality, life is pretty good.
My energy is up and I have started to cook for my family again
which makes me very happy.
We have squeezed a few short trips in to the lake and this weekend we are sneaking off to Atlanta to catch a Braves game.
Tonight in our family prayer, Lydia prayed that I would not be discouraged about the way I look.
Haha.
I told her not to worry, that all things considered, I thought I was looking pretty good!
And all complaints aside,
I know that I have been greatly blessed throughout this whole process.
I continually experience tender mercies from a loving Heavenly Father
and am still being showered with love and support from all sides.
1 comment:
No doubt your sweetheart's snoring doesn't help! Love ya!
Post a Comment