Thursday, March 17, 2011

Of Concerts and Crutches and Green Stuff

I am not an organized person. Add that to the fact that  I am pretty much a terrible procrastinator and you get the ingredients that led to my morning.

But first let me backtrack. (See I told you I wasn't organized!)

On Monday evening we were all outside enjoying the beautiful weather. At some point, Lydia fell off her scooter and banged her ankle.  She continued to play in the grass, doing handstands and running around.  
I did not see the fall nor did I hear about it until an hour or more later.  
When she got up from the picnic table where we enjoyed a leisurely dinner, I noticed she was hopping.  When I asked why, she stuck up her foot and her ankle was purple and swollen. 

To make a long story short, after a day of ice and rest, another day of wondering if it was broken, some guilt, an x-ray, a cool gel splint and some borrowed crutches, she was ready to go show off her sprained ankle just in time for the 3rd grade keyboard concert at 9:00 this morning. 

 This brings me to my unorganized procrastinating issues. 
 I forgot the concert was today. 
 I forgot it was St. Patricks Day.
 I forgot Alli was supposed to bring 20 green edible things to share with her class.

Fortunately, children don't forget anything.  Unfortuntely, they never think to remind you until the day of the event.

  That is why I was up at the crack of dawn to get myself presentable enough to attend said concert, arrange transportation for Kate since I would be gone, wrap and splint the ankle, stare into the pantry to find 20 green things, make 20 green rice krispy treats because Alli could not be bribed into taking 20 green beans, try to convince the kids they could not eat rice krispy treats for breakfast even though yes they do indeed contain cereal, fix breakfast, as well as sign all the Friday papers and forms that I did not think to sign on Thursday night.
Sigh....
Needless to say everything got done, although it wasn't pretty.


I made it to the concert and this was my view of my precious child. 
   Don't see her?  Look at the feet.  See the splinted one?  Yep. That is her.  And if you look really closely behind the boy in the green shirt you can see part of her ear.  Oh yes, this is the view that I knocked myself out for this morning!

At the end of the concert she peeked around so I could actually catch a glimpse of her sweet face.




 I did get to see her for 60 seconds after the concert so I guess it was all worth it.
She knows how to rock a picture even on crutches.
  Her green head band was the only nod she was willing to give to St. Patrick's Day.  The queen of pink does not wear green shirts because after all, "Green is not really my color."

2 comments:

Marsha said...

can"t wait to hear all about Lydia's influence on Noelle.

freya said...

i love your blog! you put such a funny spin on your family adventures! and your girls are a hoot!