Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

It was supposed to be a relaxing week at the beach.  I had scheduled it months in advance and had been looking forward to lounging in the sun and taking long walks at sunset.  

 The original plan had been for BethAnn to come with us, but she was on bedrest and I was sad not to have her. But we went ahead with our plan because due day was still a month away. 

 I headed down with the three girls, 
  and a few days later was joined by Myrna and her boys.  We were expecting all the men to arrive for the weekend and had plans for fishing and fun.


But what do they say about the best laid plans??

 BethAnn texted me several times on Thursday because she was having contractions.  She and Zach were going to labor and delivery to have her checked out.  I wasn't too concerned, because they had only had to do this a bazillion times throughout the past weeks and her due date was still so far away....

Sure enough, they gave her something to stop her contractions, told her to take a tylenol and sent her home.  We continued to text throughout the day and the contractions didn't let up.  Sometime in the night while I was sleeping soundly, my sweet daughter texted me that the contractions were getting really bad.  Later, while I was slumbering, she texted they were going back to the hospital.  Finally at 4 am, still unable to get me to answer my phone, Zach called Kate and woke her up.  I groggily took the phone to hear that BethAnn was dialated to 4 cm and there was no turning back.  And, due to some complications, they were going to have to do a c-section.

So many things went through my mind. I was supposed to be there.  I was supposed to be in the room when he was born. There wan't supposed to be a c-section.  I was two hours away and I had slept through those texts when my daughter needed me.

Of course she didn't really need me--she needed her husband and some pain meds. And not necessarily in that order.

To make a long story the same length--I woke the girls, we sleepily threw everything we could think of in the car, and took off.  I may or may not have disregarded a few speed limits on the way.  I know that I prayed all the way there that both baby and mommy would be safe and healthy.

Soon after we got there, Zach sent word that Preston Zachary had been born. 6lbs 13oz and  19 1/4 inches.

After a while we got to go up and this is what we saw:

These pictures do not do this beautiful boy justice. I am not sure if there has ever been a more beautiful newborn.




 Of course, everyone wanted a chance to hold him.











(I promise I held him too, but unfortunately I don't know where those pictures went.)

 At the end of the day, I was in awe that my beautiful baby had a beautiful baby.  I am so proud of her and the sacrifices she has made for Preston.  

I also don't know where the pictures of Zach are, but I have to throw in a good word for him.  I am so grateful for his calming influence and for his role as husband and dad.

1 comment:

Annette said...

Great story to tell. I'm glad you made it. Who knows perhaps it was how it was suppose to be.