So I love summertime as much as the next person. I love the relaxed attitude of no schedules, homework, or real deadlines. I love sleeping in and letting the kids stay up a little too late. I love spending all afternoon in the pool or reading a good book. But how do you know when you have crossed the line between relaxed and too lax?
Maybe when you have a conversation like this:
Me: Okay kids, time to get out of the pool. We have just enough time to get dinner fixed and then get to church night on time.
Alli: Can I have Ramen noodles for dinner?
Me: No, sweetheart. I am fixing dinner for the family.
Alli: Wait, you mean like real dinner?
Me: Of course I mean real dinner.
Alli: (incredulously) You mean like the kind with dishes and everything?
Me: (long pause) What other kind is there?
Alli: You know, the kind we usually have. The kind that just needs fingers. Or maybe paper plates.
Although I laughed, I confess that it was one of those uncomfortable laughs. You know, the kind that comes when something hits a little too close to home. So what did I do? I did what any self-respecting mother would do. I marched right into the kitchen and heated up those leftover tacos and hamburgers.
But hey, we did eat them on real dishes!


1 comment:
Vicky, your summer sounds very similar to mine! I haven't been very productive this summer, and have stayed up way too late most night (Eric calls them my "Looney Tunes" hours where I stay up til 2 or 3 am reading or watching movies). I can't do anything doing the day because of the heat, but nights I seem to have more energy.
Post a Comment