Saturday, May 28, 2011

Going It Alone

May is always  a crazy month. 
 It is the last month of school, which is  full of school programs, concerts, softball games, school field trips and parties.  This year it has also included Seminary Graduation, Convocation, and next week Graduation.  My little boy is growing up, and that is emotional.  But this post is not about him. 

 It is about this guy:


Blair doesn't usually travel much, but this month he has been gone for a total of 13 days.  He has  gone to Ft. Lauderdale for an industry meeting, to Mobile for a fishing tournament, to somewhere in Georgia to  help with tornado relief, and now he is in Idaho/Wyoming with Matt to check out BYU-I and visit family.

I have realized a few things since he has been gone.
He is the one that comes up with ideas for fun family activities.  He is the best at calming an over-tired-little-girl-meltdown.  He is the kids' favorite breakfast chef.  He is better at stopping our dogs from barking in the middle of the night and at keeping the kitchen sink empty.  For some reason I cannot make myself go to bed when he is not here, so I stay up too late and get too tired. 
 I really need him to come home.

I remember the first time I laid eyes on him.  I was 19 and he was 22. We were students at BYU in Provo, UT and we were assigned to the same Family Home Evening group. (Typical, I know).  At the first meeting, he came late and didn't even sit down or take off his coat.  He just stood near the door, arms folded, leaning against the wall with his collar turned up.  After it ended and everyone left, my roommates and I were talking about what we thought of our group.  One roommate said that she thought Blair Burton was really cute.  I replied, "Well, you can have him, because he might be cute but he is too stuck up!"

Funny how I had to eat my words, because that led to this:

Our engagement photo.


And that led to this:


Walking out of the Washington DC temple on Aug. 22, 1984.
And that has thankfully led to this:


5 comments:

Beth said...

He loves reading this. He teared up just watching it. Love the blog. Beth

Marsha said...

Mom, I'm so glad to see you posting on a blog!

Vicky, I'd have to agree he's pretty amazing. I've always adored him too!

Thirteen days a month with a husband gone was a typical month for our life in Colorado. I'm glad that is cut down now and I can enjoy the rock in our house too...although I'm wishing the emty sink thing would rub off on Eric! That is a gift you can thank Ralph Burton for!

The Shraders said...

this is probably my favorite post yet :)

Annette said...

It's an adjustment that's for sure. I'm not a fan of a traveling husband myself. And I never sleep well when Mikes gone. Loved reading about your first meeting. Hahaha Mike was a neighbor of our FHE group. His sisters were the girls next door to us. We should do a how we met, dated dinner. That would be fun. I love growing old with my best friend!

The Hargretts said...

I agree awesome post! You're amazing though Sister Burton I don't know how you do it. My husband is in the Bishopric and it's just hard for me to sit by myself during Sacrament meeting I can't imagine a traveling husband/ not being with you at church each week. Like I said you are awesome!!!