Twelve years ago my world was turned upside down.
My dad, who I loved more than words can express, went to Argentina for a hunting trip and never came back.
A freak car accident took his life. It happened on May 7th, the Friday before Mother's Day.
I still remember getting the news on the phone, standing in the hallway of my cute little Quincy house.
I felt like the floor had simply been removed and I was free-falling into a very dark pit.
It had never occurred to me that something could happen to my dad.
He was larger-than-life, invincible.
But he was gone, almost like he just disappeared.
And sometimes I feel like my memories of him are disappearing too.
So as a tribute to him and to preserve them for my children, I wanted to share just a small glimpse of some of the things that I love about my Dad.
- I loved his hugs. He had a big belly and if I stretched, I could get my arms all the way around him. He would pull me in close, and there was no safer place in the world.
- I love that he loved boiled peanuts, cold coke, and vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.
- I love how he called me Vicky Lynn, or shug. (short for sugar).
- I love how he called most men Bud because he couldn't remember names very well.
- I love how much he loved my children, and how excited he was for us to adopt a daughter from China.
- I loved walking/jogging with him in the early morning hours before the sun came up.
- I loved how he loved the scripture in Joshua that says, "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
- I love how he often fell asleep during Family Home Evening or on the stand at church.
- I love how he would take me hunting and conveniently never shoot anything while I was there.
- I loved watching him walk the tables in the restaurant.
- I loved catching him lovingly swat my mom on the rear end.
- I loved how he loved his dogs and took them everywhere.
- I loved how he would sing If I Was A Rich Man and Oh Danny Boy.
- I love how he always had time for me, no matter how busy he was.
- I love that once upon a time, he let two young missionaries into our home, and that he listened and believed. And that he took us all to the temple to be sealed, and made sure that we knew he had a testimony.
![]() |
| I love you, Dad! |

4 comments:
I really was not expecting this post. It really took me off guard to see his picture. Man I miss him. So much has changed in 12 years.
Sorry, sweetie. Didn't mean to ambush you today. I am missing him too. I know he is very proud of all that has happened in your life in the past 12 yrs. Especially this past year! Hugs....
Awe shoot... I had this nice post for you.... and it went away... boooo... I loved this post... while I didn't know your dad very well I knew he was a gentle giant of a man. You were lucky to have such a man in your life!
I'm in tears too. I didn't know your dad well, but I felt so welcomed by him anytime I was around him. I see the wonderful influence your dad was and still is on Blair and for that I am so grateful (cause that brother of mine means the world to me!).
Post a Comment